Law Research Institute was established on 5th April 1973, in commemoration of the silver jubilee celebration of the Gauhati High Court. It was inaugurated by Shri H.R Gokhale, the then Union Minister of Law and Justice. The Law Research Institute was registered on 5th July 1977 under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860.
The main objective of the Law Research Institute is to provide facilities for research in the field of law particularly study of Administration of Justice, the Customary Law and practices in the eastern region of India and to suggest improvement of such Administration of Justice and documentation of such customary laws and practices.
Law Research Institute was taken over by the Gauhati High Court in 1993, with a notification dated 28.4.1993 and since then it is under the Administrative control of the Hon’ble Gauhati High Court.